INCORPORATED JUNE 30, 2005
In the late 1940s, the force grew to three members, then doubled to six and at amalgamation there was an eight member force in Beverly.
Early on, the jail was behind the town hall and not only included the lock up for people but had a corral for the stray cows, horses and assorted other animals wandering in the area. Police and Fire were housed in the town hall. A room in the building also served as a courtroom for Emily Murphy who served as Justice of the Peace for the Town of Beverly.
From the beginning, the Beverly Fire Department was a volunteer organization. The town purchased new H. L. Beckle chemical fire engine in 1916. The fire department remained a volunteer organization with one pumper unit until amalgamation.
The first town hall was demolished and replaced by a single storey building east of the original hall. In 1937, when the province took over the administration of the town, the police and ire offices remained in the new town hall. The Mayor and Town Council were reinstated in 1949 and moved into the hall. The civic space was expanded in 1950/51 to accommodate two more cells and a separate police office.
Some who served were: Frank Walsh, Earl Floden, Tom Johnson, Norman West, Orest Shur, Alphonsus McIlhargey, R.B. McDowell and George Hanlan.
The enclosed are the memories of Dale McIlhargey, son of the police chief and Elmer Skrukwa, a police officer who served on the Beverly Police Force until amalgamation.
“To preserve the history of Beverly, using it to educate its citizens and build community.”
By 1913, the small settlement that had formed was in need of structure. The Village of Beverly was incorporated that year and Herbert. J. Swainson was hired as a constable. The indiscriminate firing of rifles was one of the issues that faced the council when Beverly incorporated as a town in 1914. That year, the town council hired their first police chief, Homer Stewart who served until he was replaced by Frank Walsh in October of 1916.
1959 Beverly Police Department